Thursday, April 19, 2012

Ipswich Spy: No solution, but part of the problem

We have a rubbish newspaper in Ipswich these days so when Ipswich Spy appeared on the scene I happily posted to it and read it too. I recognised it had it’s failings such as anonymous authors but it was informative and seemed to have good sources.

I decided to stand for election and as a Rights of Way activist I knew how to research for information. Indeed in my last post I noted how I could serve the electorate of St. Margaret’s by researching problems back along the usual paper trail as usually when our local authorities do something rushed and against the wishes of the people they take shortcuts and make mistakes which can force the whole issue to be done again and often stopped entirely. I know Archant will not publish anything controversial so as a source of information they are less than useless especially where development is concerned as they want to develop their own site in Lower Brook Street hence they are hardly publisher (morning star!) anymore and have become a property company anxious to keep well in with the local politicians and local authorities.
Ipswich Spy had the potential to be a really good source of news but as I am fighting an election I want to know who the anonymous authors they use actually are. I asked on their Facebook page if any of the anonymous authors were standing for election as some of the stuff I had written had been deleted and it was about Cann who writes for Ipswich Spy anonymously and is of course my main opponent in St. Margaret’s. How could he get my posts removed I wondered. Is there a way of blackmailing Ipswich Spy? The answer unfortunately is yes and he is far from the only politician with the knowledge to affect what is written in Ipswich Spy. All the main political people in the area feed Ipswich Spy titbits, which is why it is so well informed.
It isn’t what our newspapers tell us that matters but what they hide such as the Ipswich Dock Acts, Public Inquiries  I am glad to be Independent and not allied to any political party at all. I can serve St Margaret’s despite the politicians who are quite happy to have an undesirable  as a friend as long as they get access to the news in order to suppress it or influence what is written.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am 69 and have to use a wheelchair but I never allow this issue to interfere with anything I want to achieve. I would like young people and even those not yet born to be able to enjoy growing up in Ipswich as much as my generation did. We never stayed around the town or housing areas as we spent our time in the countryside doing what kids do and annoying nobody. We all learned to live off the land and to appreciate the countryside too. No drugs or alcohol needed to have a really good time and grow into mature adults. My wife and I spend our time as volunteers and we have spent many a happy day taking disabled people sailing on the River Orwell. We hope to expand this year with more boats.

free counter
Vista Print Coupon